Wednesday, February 11, 2009

For 24 hours, cellphones were not canon devices in my universe...

...and I nearly self-destructed. Well, not at first.
I begin my sans-mobile day in the afternoon, hoping to make the 24 hours pass by faster. So far, so good. The first few hours I spend in class, so I do not miss my phone at all. After class, I shut myself up in my room with a movie, and amazingly, no one interrupts me for 30 blissful minutes. Then my roommates invite me to water aerobics. Ok, I pause the movie to get ready. After all, who can resist an hour at the pool? At the gym, I swim to my hearts content with no pesky phone to pursue me from the deep. All joking aside, I truly do feel immense relief at not having to handle that device all night. Not once do I have to check my messages or return a call. I can just go through my day interacting only with people I see at the given moment. I feel vivified.
I return to my room after the swim and continue my movie. I get through it with minimal interuptions. Thanks to no cellphones of course! Then my roommates remind me to get ready for our night on the town. Here's where the torment begins.
I have to wash the chlorine from my hair, so I take much longer than usual to get ready. I'm almost done when my roommates suggest that they pick up the car from the parking lot. I agree and finish dressing. Minutes later, I'm wandering outside frantically peeling my eyes up and down the street and parking lot, searching for my roommates. I hurry back to the room, lest they return in my absence. Once I convince myself that they are not back yet, I race down the stairs to scan the streets again. After completing this ritual a couple times, I come up with a grand idea. In this unfamiliar world cellphones do not exist, but landlines do! I dial one of my roommates' numbers from my bulky, technologically uncouth corded phone. Oh yeah, who needs the mobile right? Why did I come up with this solution at the eleventh hour? Well, obviously, my dependency on cordless devices has temporarily damaged my critical thinking. The more sentimental explanation is that I was so distraught over my nonexistent cellphone, I couldn't think straight. Take your pick.
At any rate, I communicate with my roommates, and we have an awesome time. I come back so sleepy that I don't think of my cell once. The next morning, I awake to my alarm. At least that's what I think it is. The buzzing won't release me from its hold, even after I shut off my alarm. It must be that strange device sitting on my desk. In a somnolent state, I press a key. Sacre Bleu! Did I just touch my cell phone?! Thankfully, I immediately catch my blunder and proceed with my cellphone free world. It's a close call, nonetheless.
The rest of the day plays out as the last one did. I'm free from bothersome phone buzzes, but there's a hunger for my family back in Atlanta. I converse with them via e-mail, but there's nothing like the immediate gratification of a text message. Although this was an interesting experience, I am relieved when the statute of limitations is up. Almost on cue, I receive a call from my mother, and all is well.

Conclusion: Cellphones bring, with their convenience, certain annoyances that only come with technological advancement. Now, people can bug you almost anywhere, and you have nearly no excuse for missing a call. To eliminate any experimenter's bias, I propose going without people for 24 hours, keeping the cellphones, and comparing the results. I might discover that people are the problem, not that innocent little device buzzing plaintively at me from the corner. Then we can keep the phones and drop the callers.
Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment