Thursday, February 26, 2009

Where Are You Going? Where Have You Been? (borrowed shamelessly from Joyce Carol Oates)

I won't pretend that I've never given a thought to my death. Sometimes the thought clings to me like ghostly fetters, and all other ideas kowtow to its weight. Mostly, however, I just avoid pondering on it for long.
Since last week, I've thought about my death more than ever before. Today, I turned in my obituary, written ostensibly by myself. The assignment was awkward to put it mildly, yet exciting as well. This was my opportunity to outline every long-term goal and desire that God has put upon my heart. Of course, I added a few personal wants, such as critical acclaim and success as well. Most importantly, this write-up forced me to choose what I wanted to do in my limited life. By my choices, neurology and fiction writing, I understand my true passions even more. So these are the things I want to do for the rest of life, the life works that I can't live without. My long-term plans will probably continue to fluctuate, but at least I have a working idea of how my life could be. I guess it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment